COO8 Maths and logic22 mai 2017
During the mobility in France, English, French and Romanian pupils have to solve mathematical puzzles of logic, of calculation or geometrical of different levels of difficulties. They shared with their penfriend and had 10 minutes to solve each. They passed then to the following puzzle.
This activity was the occasion to communicate with their partner and to explain the reasoning of which they thought. The aspect “competition” can be lived by certain pupils or certain classes like an engine, a motivation. That should not in no case to become a goal, the pursued goal being well the mathematical trainings by the resolution of problems.
The children must find themselves in a situation of research, tests, errors, discussions, it is important that they can handle and to put at their range all the necessary tools (cubic, figurines, copies)
Each puzzle can make mark points more or less. It is also important to say how one arrived at his result to give the answer. Object is to provide a stimulating project and to give a dynamic impression of mathematics.
This activity was the occasion to communicate with their partner and to explain the reasoning of which they thought. This workshop developed at the pupils, curiosity, the taste of research and team work and to help them to build a positive image of the scientific culture.
Its form, sometimes ludic, should not make forget that it is about a true work of mathematics which can usefully be integrated into the classical training and which is very enriching and very formative for the pupils. We gave 7 minutes to each.. sometimes after 3 minutes they solved the difficulties.
- To make mathematics, by solving complex problems (digital, geometrical, logical), in a context.
- To develop team work, to imply all the pupils, to lead to a collective organization, the choice of strategies.
- To develop the argumentation, to incite with the mathematical debate; the pupils must agree on solutions.
- To develop certain strategies of trainings (transfer of knowledge, reinvestment, use of the assistances and supports mathematical)
- To encourage the competitive spirit of the same classes level (to give means to achieve a goal…)
- To support autonomy of the pupils, the groups, to manage time, to cooperate