PSA BODY MASS INDEX STUDY20 juin 2016
Number of sessions: 4
Target group: 1ºESO (12 years old)
Intervenient: University of Santiago de Compostela, Myrian González
STUDY OF FOOD HABITS AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN CHILDREN OF A SECONDARY EDUCATION INSTITUTE AND ITS CORRELATION WITH BODY MASS INDEX AND WAIST CIRCUMFERENCE
Activities:A dietician from the university explained how to get a healthy lifestyle to our students. She also studied the lifestyle of our students to share the results with us, and compare it to the rest of the teenagers in Galicia, from others localities. This activity is integrated into the OFFICIAL MASTERS IN GENETIC, NUTRITIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONSTRAINTS OF GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
● RESEARCH QUESTION
Ratio eating habits and physical activity and BMI in children aged between 12 and 15 years of IES.
Poor eating habits and decreased physical activity and excessive use of information technologies (ICTs) are factors that negatively influence overweight and obesity.
● STUDY OBJECTIVE:
Assess the degree of overweight or obesity in a population of children aged between 12-15 years old of IES A Sangriña.
a) Study Design:
- Observational study.
- Purpose of the study: descriptive.
- Time sequence: Cross.
b) Study population:
- Children aged between 12 and 15 years of both sexes who attend a secondary school education.
- Inclusion criteria: all children receive the signed parental consent.
- Exclusion criteria: children who do not receive the consent of their parents, who suffer from some form of disability that prevents, quantify their weight and size with a SECA scale commonly used.
- Sample: children who attend 1st, 2nd and 3rd of ESO and receive the consent of their parents.
c) Method of data collection:
to. It is weighed on a scale SECA stadiometer provided, waist circumference is measured with a tape measure and calculation of the BMI.
b. A questionnaire has been passed on:
i. Eating habits
ii. Time physical activity regulated
iii. Time physical activity not regulated
iv. Time spent weekly TIC's
● weight and height have been held during their physical education classes.
● Questionnaire was conducted to the different groups of the IES A Sangriña