PH10. LET’S WRITE!17 juin 2016
Title: My Body grand-father / My Body grandma
- To share feelings among children and elderly people.
- Teaching children values like responsibility through sending letters.
- Improving writing skills inviting students to send letters to their “grand- mothers/fathers”.
- Try to create a close relationship between each child with an elderly person.
- Teacher explains the activity to their students: they will form pairs (1 child with 1 elderly person) and will establish a relationship by letters.
- Second session: after sending letters by mail students visited the residence for the elderly meeting one another and at the same time creating a personal relationship.
In order to improve close relationships amongst young and elderly people we decided to involve young students (about 5–6 years old) with elderly people living in a residence for the elderly.
This way they could experience a double relationship: academic (for the children) and emotional (for both).
We could consider the results highly satisfactory because of enthusiastic participation of the children and because the grateful attitude of the grand-mothers/fathers.
It has been a great experience approaching two different collectives, childhood and old age.
Finally, this activity would be a great first step to create in a future a new childcare service inside residences for elderly people, a current social service already existing in some countries in the world.